Vis



Today's puzzle is the (poorly assembled) vis. I just looked at the pictures and I think I reassembled it wrong. The bolt should be on the inside...I think? Other images suggest that I was right. Can't find it on PuzzleMaster though...even though it came from them. Oh well.

I came into this puzzle not sure what to expect. I was *really* hoping for a trick bolt-type puzzle. I can't tell you whether or not I was disappointed :)

So: to the puzzle. It's made from a lightweight wood that seems to be somewhat scratched/worn. It seems to be similar to the type used on puzzles like the Welle (Wave), Rechner, and Radbox. Interestingly, I had to disassemble my Kugellager 8 to remove some orange dying powder that they seemed to have used to color the wood, but that's for another review.

I did kind of like this puzzle. Secret-opening puzzles really let you get intimate with the puzzle because you need to inspect it very closely in order to make it reveal its secrets. Once I figured out the mechanism, the surprise was lost, however. It's pretty basic and common, and not terribly repeatable, though if I recall correctly there was another little step involved that changed things up a little bit.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this puzzle has the same mechanism as the Get Charged or Bougie puzzle. Reader input is appreciated!

Comments